Here we go! Church House is the administrative centre of the Church of England and is the home of its permanent staff and of the staff of the Church Commissioners. As such, it is always liable to be under attack for consuming, as some would say, so large a proportion of the total resources of the Church of England. It is a fine building, designed by Herbert Barker, and completed in 1939. Its Assembly Hall is used for the meetings of the General Synod. It is itself administered by an independent corporation. The staff at Church House underpin the General Synod and its Commissions, providing an effective civil service function in support of the considerable work load of these bodies. The Secretary-General is the head of the Church House staff.